Monday, February 16, 2015

First In Line

So two days ago, on the 14th of February or as humans on earth know it, Valentines' Day, my childhood best friend, Nabihah, got married. 

I first met Nabihah when we were eight and we were put in the same class. And by fate I was seated next to her. And just like any other bestfriends we had our ups and downs as well and we didnt stay close for the rest of the our school years. There were times when we were close again and then there were times when both of us preferred other people's company. I had other best friends when I was 9. And another when I was 10. AND another when I was 11. We were close for a brief time when we both entered standard 6 just cause we were in the same class. But she changed to another class halfway through the year and we ended up distancing again. It's funny when I look back. Just cause we were both SO young and we were merely kids. 

But she was my first ever best friend. And that itself put her at a very special place in my memories and in my heart. 

We didn't keep in touch when high school started for the both of us as we went to different schools. But one fine day in 2010, I got a call from her. It was surprising. It was moving. And it felt great to know that she hasn't forgotten about me.  We called each other a few times after that before she flew to South Africa to further her studies. And that was the last time I heard from her. 

Untill a few weeks ago. 

I was woken up at 6 a.m in the morning by the endless notification ring on my phone and a text from Nabihah telling me that she's getting married in a few weeks time would have never been in any of my guess of who and what could be so important that someone needs to disturb my beauty sleep so early in the morning. 

D-Day came and I was the first among my childhood friends that arrived. Maybe it's because I haven't seen her in nine years. Maybe it's because I miss her and now I finally get to see her but in a wedding dress. idk what it is but as I was walking towards the tent she was under, I got so overwhelmed by everything that tears started to form on the corner of my eyes. And waterfalls were threatening to spill at any moment. Her sister greeted me first and ushered me to her. And when I saw her I couldn't help it. I broke down. Happy for her because she's getting married. But i was also bombarded with this unknown feeling of sadness, relief, joy, excitement, and a feeling of being so moved by the fact that we finally meet again. after nine years. Too much feelings at once and I just couldn't contain it. 

We couldn't talk until MUCH LATER ON. I mean she was the bride so yeah she was busy with greeting people and taking photos so we only got the chance to talk after everyone has gone back. 

And I found myself missing talking to her. Just sit down and talk you know. 

I also met many of my primary school friends whom I haven't seen in YEARS. Dalila, Victoria, Aerina, Emi Izzati lol it even felt a lil bit like a mini reunion cos we were all hugging and saying it's been soo long and how you been. I was just so happy that I got the chance to meet them and just catch up with what's happening with each other's lives. 

In the end though after everyone's gone back, the only ones left was me, victoria, aerina and Nabihah. We waited just cos we wanted some alone time with Nab. And it felt strange to me because all four of us had been best friends with another at one time or another. I was bestfriends with Nabihah first and Vicky became her best friend in standard 6 while I became bestfriends with Aerin at that time. And the Vicky, Aerin and I went to the same high school . Aerina and Vicky became best friends (and have stayed best friends since which I found amazing and awesome) while I hung with a different group of people. 


(LOL see how carelessly I use the word best friend here? It was so easy to call someone your best friend back then) 

And while all four of us sat there, in one of the rooms in the house after the wedding ended, talking about mindless things and updating each other on what's going with each other's lives. it felt as if we were 12 again. Just innocent girls going through steps in life one at a time. The only difference is the topic of our conversation. While homeworks, puppy loves and innocent friendships were our biggest worries when we were 12, driving, marriage life and future careers seemed to take over the conversations now and yet, it feels the same. like our conversations were just topics we've spoken over and over again except the language is different. 

Nabihah love, congratulations on your wedding.May you and your husband have a prosperous marriage. I'm confident you can overcome any challenges you will be faced with in the future.  Nine years was a long time and I hope that this isn't the last time we'd meet each other. I'm glad our friendship persevered after all these years and I'm hoping that in years to come it will only strengthen. 





Me, the bride Nabihah, and our primary school friend Dalila whom we were both close to once. 

Vicky, Aerina, Me and Nabihah. 


No comments: